Saturday, May 2, 2009

Friday's news

Yes, Jensen is off the respirator! His heart is beating lower than ever, and his lungs are still functioning on their own. If you remember, Jensen had some pacemaker leads installed last week. They decided to hook them up just for a back up. The external pacemaker is set to kick in at 60 bpm, just in case. They are monitoring his heart rhythm due to all the medicines that he is taking. For instance the beta-blocker lowers the heart rate. Surgery and medicine also changes the metabolism and electrolyte balance which can effect heart rhythm also. Anyway, he is doing better day by day and I am so excited to report progress.

Another unusual event is that Riley Hospital has decided to take a drastic step in swine flu prevention. They have locked down the hospital to all visitors except for parents, spouses and clergy. Last I heard there was one case in Indiana and it was in the far north. The CDC says that each year 36,000 people die in the US from regular seasonal flu. I personally think this swine flu scare has gotten to Y2K proportions already. On the hospital policy, when lives are at stake, it is important to have safeguards in place, as long as they are for real threats, not media or politically driven. Only time will tell, but in the meantime, I will continue to get updates through Jeff and Anna, so Jensen's story will get told! God bless all of you for your continued prayers.

1 comment:

jenn said...

Thanks for the update. Love hearing the good news.

As far as the lockdown better to be safe than sorry. But I agree the media will say anything to get viewers. The more frightened people are the more media they consume. I'm really happy Jeff and Anna get to keep visiting with Mr. Jensen. We can't wait to meet him later this year!